Wednesday, November 23, 2011

This EBW is Learning How to Sew

I have decided to save up to buy a sewing machine! The reason for this is very practical. I lost a lot of weight and now I have over a dozen really nice blazers that are way too big. I have a few options:
  1. Do nothing and let the blazers sit where they are because I might gain all the weight back anyway (no way!!!). But what will I wear in the meantime?
  2. Donate all the blazers to charity and buy new ones. This will be expensive.
  3. Take the blazers to a tailor to have them altered. This will also be expensive. Most of them are second hand and altering may cost most than I actually paid for the!
  4. Buy a sewing machine, learn how to use it, and alter all the blazers myself.
Photobucket I have chosen option #4 because although buying the machine will be an investment it will pay for itself because I won't have to buy new blazers or pay for a tailor. Furthermore, as long as I (and my future family) wear clothes I may need to make alterations. I can already make minor repairs to my clothing by hand, but a machine will be better for the large scale alterations I have to make. Doing all the alterations may take a year, but why not learn a new skill?

This is a traditional female skill but it is useful, and in these economic times it makes sense to do things yourself and not waste money. Many people dream about becoming rich and never cooking, cleaning, or doing almost anything for themselves. But this is reality and I don't have a maid. We throw away too much money to restaurants, housecleaning services, handymen, and other services that people used to just do for themselves. Isn't it better to be self-sufficient and use our hard earned money for more important things? Altering my clothes will make them fit and look better. If any of you have watched "What not to Wear" then you have probably heard them recommend altering the clothes you buy so that they fit better (I watch the show occasionally but I think they way too superficial and narrow-minded).

My mother can sew and I actually learned a little back in high school. But I didn't keep it up because, as was typical for me, I though anything that was traditionally feminine was beneath me and all modern women. I'm thinking differently about it now. I don't think I'll ever start making my own clothes, but I could do other things like make curtains, pillows, place mats, and simple things instead of buying them. Just think about all of those home decorating and renovation shows like "Take This House and Sell It" where a seamstress makes the curtains and pillows...I could do that! It could be a worthwhile hobby :)

Here are some articles on the benefits of sewing:
The Many Benefits of Sewing
Benefits of Sewing
Learn to Sew: Benefits of Sewing
Studies Show Benefits of Sewing

4 comments:

  1. Learn the sewing tools, equipment and materials that will be used. It is absolutely difficult to learn how to sew if you don’t know what tools to use to make it it in the first place. Make sure you know what are the right equipment and materials to use in making your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read you. I'm remaking my wardrobe to include historical costuming, but for day-to-day wear. Stumbled upon your blog during personal research.

    I am seriously considering placing a link toyour blog from mine.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend doing a sewing course first - wherever you can find an affordable one.
    One of the most difficult things to sew are blazers. Much less adjust one.
    Advantage, you can start making skirts, and work your way up to dresses. Win-Win, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, my 9 year old daughter wants to learn to sew! My heart jumped. I'm 37, I AVOIDED HOME EC like it was the plague...but I picked up sewing on my own when I was 30. I really miss my fabric and buttons, even from waaayy up here in my Financial District window I can see BRITEX. I took my 'welcome back tour' today at lunch....and...I'm ready to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete