- Beauty: A beauty queen makes herself look beautiful, feminine, and elegant. She wears natural looking make-up that accentuates her good features but nothing overpowering. She looks naturally beautiful instead of "made-up" (no bad weaves or rainbow coloured hair). She also keeps herself physically fit and avoids unhealthy foods. Beauty queens have excellent posture and walk with feminine confidence (however, the beauty queen walk is only suitable for the stage!).
- Elegant Attire: A beauty queen dresses in elegant, feminine, classic, or professional attire. She does not look "ghetto" or "ghettofabulous". She is always wearing something presentable because she is in the public eye. She dresses modestly to preserve her good reputation. Beauty queens are everyday women who dress and act like queens and you can too...well without the crown of course!
- Dignity and Respect: A beauty queen has a good reputation, she is respected, and she carries herself with dignity. She does not engage in scandalous behaviour that would keep her out of the pageant or cause her to lose her crown. That means, no scandalous videos or photos, no substance abuse, no criminal background, no promiscuity. If you have these things is your past, it's time to stop, put that past behind you, and change your image. It's never too late.
- Poise: Beauty pageants are public events and the major ones are televised around the world. These women have to be on their best behaviour because everyone is watching. If they trip or fall they must be able to get up and carry on without complaining, causing a scene, swearing, pouting, or any other unladylike behaviour. They maintain their composure. When a contestant is asked controversial questions she thinks before she speaks and provides a moderate or popular response that will not offend anyone. In your everyday life, do you act like everyone is watching? Do you avoid offending people? Maybe you (and I ) should start.
- Congeniality: A congenial person is pleasant, friendly, and sociable. A person with this quality is well liked, popular, and a role model for others. This is an all-around nice person. Remember to be congenial with others instead of bitter, mean, rude, hateful, or argumentative. These negative behaviours may make you feel good in the short term, but they will ruin your reputation and push others away.
- Education and Talent: Some beauty pageants are actually scholarship competitions. The financial prize will be used by the women to further their educations. The message here is do what you need to do (legally) to further your education. You can be attractive and intelligent! If your beauty gets you into a job or opportunity, just make sure you have the skills and training to stay there. These women also have talents and hobbies that they demonstrate in the pageants. Hobbies are great ways to spend your time, they are something to talk about, you will feel confident once you master your hobby, and they make you a more interesting and well-rounded person.
- SMILING!!!! Beauty queens are always smiling. Try smiling while you speak, when you are on the phone, and when people look at you. Smile when you ask for something or when you are giving constructive criticism. It works!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Lessons We Can Learn From Beauty Queens
I recently watched a beauty pageant and it gave me the idea for this post. There are some great tips we can learn from beauty pageant contestants that would add to our EBW qualities! Now I'm not advocating that you enter a pageant or debating whether they are sexist or not (I think they should get rid of the swimsuit competition though). For this post I'm just using pageants as a way to demonstrate the qualities of feminine, elegant women. Beauty queens are also fantasy women for many men who want the best of the best! These are the qualities of the idealized beauty queen: