Tuesday, August 14, 2012

10 Essential Habits of Positive People

I just read another great article on Lifehack called 10 Essential Habits of Positive People. I like the site because it just reminds me of things I already learned and know but sometimes forget. Life skills and tools are great but only when you remember to use them so these reminders are good for me. I recommend the site to anyone who needs reminders and quick lessons about how to improve their life. Here are the 10 habits and I recommend that you read the article in full. Beside each point I will briefly mention where I have used/attempted to use the habits in my own life :
  1. Positive people don’t confuse quitting with letting go. I let go of negative behaviours, thoughts, goals, and influences. I have let go of the need to give certain people a chance (e.g., rappers, reality TV, bad role models) and reject the pressure to support these people. I don't keep trying to have a relationship with people who don't seem to like me. 
  2. Positive people don’t just have a good day – they make a good day. I don't believe in waiting or wishing for good things to happen. I have to make good things happen. For example, I have to do things to attract a man and go places to meet a man of the quality I want. If I don't go out and make myself attractive I don't expect to be noticed by anyone.
  3. For the positive person, the past stays in the past. I am trying to forget past misfortunes and mistreatment and focus more on what positive things are happening now and the great things that lie ahead. I know some Black history (who really knows all anyway?) but I will not let that hinder my aspirations, bring down my mood, make me jaded and bitter, interfere with my life choices and who I associate with, or limit my life in any way.
  4. Show me a positive person and I can show you a grateful person. I will focus on the positive things that have happened to me and the people who have helped me. There is ample proof that I am successful, people care about me, and others think I am worthwhile. I do have a lot. 
  5. Rather than being stuck in their limitations, positive people are energized by their possibilities. The future is bright for me now that I have graduated and I will try hard to be confident and trust that I know what to do in my future job and relationships. 
  6. Positive people do not let their fears interfere with their lives! Sometimes I procrastinate out of fear but I always do what is necessary in the end...I'll try to procrastinate less and get things done faster. 
  7. Positive people smile a lot! I do now :)
  8. People who are positive are great communicators. I strongly believe in this and in adopting a style of communication that is understandable and acceptable by the largest number of people, especially those who have the power and influence to improve your life and give you what you want (e.g., teachers, parents, the mainstream). Speaking properly is essential and using slang, curse words, and poor communication will limit your ability to be successful in many fields. Having good manners will also facilitate communication and good relations with others because it communicates that you had a good upbringing and that you respect others. Maintaining your appearance and looking approachable, friendly, and like the mainstream will also communicate that others do not have to be wary of you. 
  9. Positive people realize that if you live long enough, there are times for great pain and sadness. I believe this but I have to work on not believing hard times will last forever. 
  10. Positive people are empowered people – they refuse to blame others and are not victims in life. Readers of this blog know that I STRONGLY believe this and that having a victim mentality will get you nowhere. I believe that I have control over my life (not complete but enough) and I can change my circumstances without needing to wait for my parents, family, strangers, the government, or society to change first. I do not expect others to save me or sacrifice their own interests to help me. I have to save myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment