Monday, July 23, 2012

We Can Change Black Women's Image

Why am I blogging so much?????

Anyways, search for the term "elegant Black women" on Google images and you will see many images from my blog and Tumblr site. The images are very positive. Also if you search "Black women" on Google images most of them are very positive too! GASP...most of the women are looking feminine and actually smiling! Did Google clean up the images or is this an actual shift in the images that are being posted online?

Unfortunately, when you do a Google web search for "Black women" the first link is to that horrible article from Psychology Today that devalues our beauty. But after that it's a link to an interracial marriage blog. This is due to the popularity of the sites. The negative article was passed around and people visited the article from all over the world (sometimes repeatedly). They also wrote and did videos about the article and re-posted the link so that it went viral!

The lesson here is that website and blog owners can change the way we appear online if they refuse to post negative images and repeatedly post and share positive images. I have tried to post positive images on my blog even when I was pointing out something negative about Black women because I do not want to be responsible for spreading negative images. It will also help if popular sites write positive articles that are re-posted and shared. Then when someone Black or otherwise wants to see or read about Black women the first thing they see will not be a barrage of negative images and insults. They will also be able to see more of a balance of images and information.  This will also be so helpful and affirming to women who don't fit the stereotypical mold for Black women as portrayed in the media. Writing, taking photos, and sharing these things can help! Choosing to only view positive portrayals can actually help! 

Of course in your real life you can not only be a good role model to others (fix your own house first), let other women know what you consider positive and negative conduct (teach others), but you can also direct others to positive entertainment and media to correct their negative impressions of Black women. This is the reason why I made the list of EBWs and television shows starring Black women because people kept saying they didn't know they existed (please share this information with women you know who may need it).Your actions can shape others until things become a trend, highly popular, or viral...you do have power! 


We also have to limit how much we focus and believe in these negative postings and avoid them if we know we can't handle them. The video below is an EXCELLENT commentary on the video and you really should watch it :) This is a brilliant blogger who has debating skills like no other! I have watched many of her videos.


I'd also like to mention that I have two new women to add to the EBW list! Naomie Harris and Terry Pheto :)

Naomie Harris (British actress of Jamaican descent)

Terry Pheto (South African actress, the pink actually looks nice :)

7 comments:

  1. YES! I loved Naomie Harris ever since she was Selena in 28 Days Later! It was a gruesome movie but it was the first interracial romance I'd ever seen ... and at 12 years old, that meant A LOT to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read exceprts of the Psychology today article,it was written by a Japanese person. Do we as Black people really expect Japanese/ Chinese?KOREAN people to care about us. MOST DON'T( Maybe if we black women would take care of ourselves holistically,(MIND, BODY SPIRIT) rather than buying weaves from Asians and making them wealthy,and stop consuming eurocentric junk food (Obeseity is a sickness, let us stop lying ourselves, a healthy slimmer body is more appealing, physically and mentally) then our true beauty as Black women would come through. Truly beautiful women improve on their natural beauty HOLISTICALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way as of this moment, I hope you will never mention that Psychology Today aricle again? and I will never mention it again. Though I am not interested in hooking up with non-black men (been there done that, they are not cracked up to be what the media portrays them to be).


    So far I like your website and improving my feminity is for myself nowadays, because I believe a woman can be beautiful and feminine and not for a man ( By the way I am not lesbian either,though it is not my lifestyle, I am not against women who are.) I am just on a journey of self love for myself.

    Keep up the good work on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way as of this moment, I hope you will never mention that Psychology Today article again? and I will never mention it again. Though I am not interested in hooking up with non-black men (been there done that, they are not cracked up to be what the media portrays them to be).


    So far I like your website and improving my feminity is for myself nowadays, because I believe a woman can be beautiful and feminine and not for a man ( By the way I am not lesbian either,though it is not my lifestyle, I am not against women who are.) I am just on a journey of self love for myself.

    Keep up the good work on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rocky,

    28 days later is one of my favorite movies! It's terrifying yet romantic :)

    Hi Anonymous: Well I'm not buying any hair so no one is taking that money from me. Yes we all need to stop eating junk food and making healthy food for ourselves. Everyone is free to have their dating preferences and I'm not advocating for anything regarding that. A gentleman who treats a woman right and is attractive to her is a good choice.

    Thanks for your visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Why isn't Elle/Uheardme1stTime not making any new youtube vids?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous :)

    I'm not sure why she's not making new videos. Her old ones were really great. Her debating skills are amazing and she thinks in such a logical way. I loved her old videos.

    ReplyDelete