Friday, December 9, 2011

Indian and Middle Eastern Women are Experts on Eyeliner!

Photobucket
Parminder Nagra of ER (love her!)
I was looking at YouTube videos (I do that a lot) and wondering if there were any things about Middle Eastern and Indian women that were especially feminine. I have already done posts on Asian women, but I want to look at other cultures too. I'm doing this because I think that Western women, and Black women in particular, have adopted clothing styles and mannerisms that are strongly influenced by males, unlike other cultures. This is probably due to hip hop culture and feminism that has degraded most things that were traditionally feminine. So I looked at the videos and I'm just going to talk about appearance, not the negative oppression, women's rights, or religious aspects that may force women to look a certain way. It just seems that places where women have few rights because they are female tend to look the most feminine. But beauty is beauty right? What do you think?

The first thing I noticed was that they tend to wear feminine clothing that are only reserved for women and that is key to looking feminine. Indian women even have their stomachs bare in saris! The patterns are vibrant with beautiful embroidery. Of course, I don't think Black women are going to start wearing saris but we would look beautiful in flowing dresses and skirts with delicate embroidery.

Photobucket These women also tend to have long hair. I talked about natural hair in my last post. Depending on your texture you may be able to grow long hair that hangs down or big full hair like an lion's mane (which I think is beautiful and breathtaking). You can also use weaves and wigs if you feel it is necessary, but I will always encourage Black women to wear their own texture and hair instead of trying to look like other women. I'm going to say it... long hair is more feminine, but I think that we should wear long hair in it's natural state. If you look better in short hair that's fine, but try to wear a haircut that is feminine and different from a man's.

Photobucket What stood out most for me though was their eyes! Indian and Middle Eastern women wear very visible black eyeliner on their brows and around their eyes! Most women don't do that. A lot of them have dark skin like Black women and the eyeliner makes their eyes look so much bigger and beautiful and their brows look perfect. I thought that this would be a quick and easy way for us to enhance our eyes! I'll post some tutorials below. What do you think about wearing this much eyeliner? Would this style look good on us? Why don't we wear more eyeliner anyway?




Indian Make-Up Diva
Enhancing Brown Eyes Look

Video Tutorials:
How to Massively Eyeline Your Eyes
How to Apply Bollywood Eyeliner (good video)
How I do my Winged Eyeliner
Eyeliner Techniques and Styles (great)
5 Ways to use a Pencil Eyeliner
How to Use Kohl Liner
Arabic Make-up Style
Bollywood/Arabic Inspired Tutorial

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. this is so true. women in countries where women have fewer rights act more feminine, look and dress more feminine, and are more submissive. they even hang out with girl groups more than women here, who are actually proud of the fact that they "cannot" get along with other women and are tomboys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently began wearing eyeliner. I never thought it looked good on me before. I am blessed with extremely long and thick eyelashes. So, I already look like I have on mascara and eyeliner. But, with my eyes, which are golden brown, I just thought eyeliner to look too harsh on me. Then, I discovered kohl and started using it on my bottom waterline, then in just the outer corner (only) of my top waterline. and my eyes popped. sadly, htough, the kohl smears after a few minutes, leaving me with black spots under my eyes. and waterproof is just too tough, to me. any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use powder on your bottom and top eyelids before putting on the eyeliner maybe. : )

      Delete
    2. I use the L’oreal 24 Hour Superliner Gel Eyeliner the same way and it does not smear probably bcoz its waterproof.

      Delete
  4. how about a post on feminine jewelry? i have jewelry, but go about bare too often. granted, some men think this is attractive. but, i think it is more feminine and endearing to see a woman adorning herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elegant! How have you been?

    I've loved makeup ever since I was a kid to be quite honest and I love both smoky eyes and matte lipstick in bold, preferrably non-shimmery colors but I never wear bold eyes and bold lips at the same time.

    I remember reading an old issue of the UK weekly fashion magazine called Grazia in the Beauty section where they were mentioning modern makeup tips for dark or black skin and the author a a BW beauty and fashion journalist said that black, gray or brown shadows for smoky eyes can get sort of 'lost' on black skin and that an MUA suggested the use of shimmery jewel-toned shadows for smoky eyes instead. I have found that to be a great idea for my eyes actually.

    I love using shimmery dark green/olive green shadow or dark shimmey navy blue shadow for a smoky eye instead and the former color of shadow looks particularly good during the day time when used with brown eyeshadow. I think I'd be even more drawn to using black eyeshadow for smoky eyes if I had hazel or green eyes because of the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I have been wary of using eyeliner because I have deep set almond shaped eyes that aren't very wide; I thought dark liner would just make my eyes look even narrower. I don't wear a lot of makeup but I could try the olive green and navy blue liners. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing mora a informatiom
    http://goo.gl/tGqfRs

    ReplyDelete